Rebecca's Reviews > Fruits Basket, Volume 01

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki Takaya

Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: library
Read in January, 2012

Let me start my Fruits Basket review by saying that this is my first traditional manga read. Meaning that it reads from right to left. It took me a little while to get the hang of it but not so long that it took away from the story. Fruits Basket was very different from anything I have read recently. I say this because 1) I have never read about characters that are cursed in the way that the Sohmas are cursed. And 2) I have never read a character as optimistic as Tohru Honda. In all honesty she should have gotten on my nerves, but somehow the storyline and her character all balanced out for me.

I liked the Sohma family members that I got to meet in volume 1. It was fun to see how they are like their Zodiac animal they turn into. They are like any other dysfunctional cursed family you know. After Tohru goes to live with the Sohma’s it is very obvious that there is going to be some chemistry between Tohru and Yuki and also between Torhru and Kyo, they are all teenagers, I like how this didn’t get weird or angsty. I know this is marketed as a comedy and even though it is funny I thought it dealt with death and family issues well.

My intro into Fruits Basket was super fun! I think I smiled from start to finish.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca
www.bendingthespine.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fruits Basket, Volume 01.