Manuela's Reviews > By His Rules

By His Rules by J.A. Rock

Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: mm

This is a very well written story. There are many books around with characters who had a bad experience with the BDSM world and later found instead the right person to live this life style, but most of those I read, fell short in describing well the process. Not this book. The author here does a great job in showing how Aiden gets from being a normal guy who wants to experience the BDSM world, to fall for the wrong man to the point of losing himself completely, to finally found the right person to experience BDMS in the way that feels most right to him and to finally pull himself together and get out of the emotionally bad place in which the experience with Scott put him. Usually books like this don't dedicate many pages to the bad experience, sometimes the story starts after the fact already happened, sometimes it happens in the beginning of the book and then the story quickly goes forward to the recovery time. Not in this book, which instead pays as much attention to show how Aiden ends up being damaged as it does to his recovery. The result is that I really felt like I could understand how a smart guy like Aiden, who you think should know better, got himself in such a bad situation that he ended up accepting to be treated as badly as Scott did and hating himself. That made it very interesting to me to see how later Aiden, emotionally and physically damaged, fought to find himself again, to regain trust in himself and people around him, to follow his dreams. I felt close to him and cheered him on during his difficult journey. I also liked Keaton a lot, the way he supported and loved Aiden. I also appreciated a lot what the author did with the character of Scott in the end, which is something different than the common way to deal with the "bad" dom in a story like this and that consequently felt more interesting and refreshing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By His Rules.