La Reyne 's Reviews > When Will There Be Good News?

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson

Jan 30, 12

I absolutely adored this book. Like Rankin or Welsh, she sets it in a very real and tangible Edinburgh, which had its appeal for me having lived there for a number of years and having explored it extensively.

This story is superficially a murder mystery/thriller, and it performs well enough in that respect. It relies on a heavy dose of coincidence, which strains credibility somewhat; but which ultimately I'm fully prepared to overlook,given there was so much else to recommend it. For me the plot machinations weren't the most compelling thing about it. It's her vivid delineation of characters and personalities and their inner lives that's the most engrossing thing. She achieves that very special feat of making characters who are palpatatingly real and for whom you end up caring immensely. Reggie and Jackson both tug at the heartstrings in various ways. And Joanna Hunter is a cypher, the mystery quantity at the core of it all.

But there is also humour, and indeed humanity, in abundance. There is much to enjoy.

Enough of my wafflings. Not telling you any more, not giving anything away. Just go and read it, because I said so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Will There Be Good News?.