Nancy's Reviews > America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation

America's Hidden History by Kenneth C. Davis

Jul 11, 08

liked it
bookshelves: history, june-2008
Read in June, 2008

While there were few things I didn't know at least something about in this book, Davis digs deeper into America's history than what most of us learned in school.

The historical periods covered range from the early Spanish conquistadors/explorers through the aftermath of the Revolutionary War in the 1780s.

Davis discusses the role of the importation of pigs as spreaders of disease, and further notes the impact of disease during crucial historical moments.

We learn that the Hugenot refugees from France were the first settlers, rather than the Pilgrims. And the bad relations between the Pilgrims and Native Americans belies the sentimental Thanksgiving story that we grew up with.

We learn of George Washington's early undistinguished military career that involved disobeying orders and ultimately starting the French and Indian War, along with the story of Benedict Arnold's descent from Revolutionary heroism to his bitter traitorism.

Women as religious leaders, writers, and captives of various Native tribes find their way into these pages.

All-in-all, an interesting read.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America's Hidden History.