Apoorva's Reviews > The War of the Worlds

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

U 50x66
Jan 30, 2012

liked it

As far as I've read 'War Of The Worlds' is a good book (not great but good). The book uses some interesting concepts that until I started reading the book, I would not have believed such a book was written almost a century and a half ago. It has the great concept of having aliens invading Earth, and I like this concept a lot because it is almost the same concept used in the HALO series.

In the previous paragraph I have written the the book is good but not great, this is because I feel that the book is a little to stretched out and a little dreary. Normally when I read a book that I really like I start reading slowly and start accelerating to a point where every minute I read several pages because I am so engrossed, but in this book because it takes so long to get to the point and some of the lines are so hard to understand I have to re-read many pages numerous times it is difficult for me to completely be taken in by the book. This is why I didn't give the book a rating of 4 or 5.

While I can't get engrossed in the book I still feel that it has some great concepts and ideas and I think whenever I have free time I will try to get through it. My only complaint is the way that everything takes multiple pages to come to a point, but since it was written so long ago I really don't have the right to complain. Nice book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of the Worlds.

Fredrik Linder Good job Apoorva. I can clearly see that you are naturally talented in understanding difficult plots in books such as this. You are not the only student that has mentioned the fact that the book is very slow and it does not get to the point. I also have to re-read various pages to fully understand what is going on. Keep reading and you will soon realize that you understand the type of language and writing style which is used.

message 2: by Devesh (new)

Devesh Apoorva, the review is very similar to mine actually. I think you share my view of the book- that it is slow but has some good concept. I like your review, but I really want to know how you came to the conclusion of the book moving forward very slowly if you have only read 15 pages?