Katie's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

Aug 17, 12

Read from August 09 to 17, 2012

Still a terrible book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

08/09/2012 page 500
47.0% "Yup! Still terrible."

Leslee after all the excitement of the 3rd one this one just felt so sluggish didn't it? I read somewhere that he originally was going to skip 5 years and jump forward in time but decided to go back and fill in the details - resulting in AFFC and part of Dance with Dragons. I actually think we could have gotten this through osmosis later on instead of reading all about it in 2 mega long books, what do you think?

Katie I read the series twice because I thought that maybe I was too rash in my judgment of the final two books. They're just... not good. After the first three books, you have this cast of main characters that you're emotionally invested in. But then GRRM decides to dedicated hundreds of pages to new characters (or to old ones who were previously minor/background characters). Which I just couldn't get into, the way I was really into (for example) Sansa's or Bran's stories.

A lot of the story arcs would have been better suited for separate, smaller books (like everything going on at Dorne, and Asha's story).

His strength (to me) was always his storytelling, not his writing, but these two really lacked in the storytelling department.

At the end of the day, I think his editors are just too scared to tell him what to do.