Corinne's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jan 29, 12

Read in January, 2012

A book based on the experiences of black maids in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi. Aibileen, the main character, has a hard time with the death of her son and this makes her less content with race relations as they are. She meets Skeeter, a white woman who is also mourning the death of her childhood maid and is also in a place to challenge the norms in a very racially segregated town. Along with a smart-mouthed but loveable maid named Minny they brave many physical and social challenges as they write a tell-all book about what it is like to be a black maid in Mississippi.

I thought this book was well done and I enjoyed the style-- the three main characters take turns telling their part of the story. Suspenseful and emotional, also painful (due to the treatment of blacks and the white social hierarchy)-- the book is also cathartic and informative. I especially love the character Aibileen and her treatment of little Mae Mobley made me want to be a better mother. The book was a bit long for my taste, and while the ending was mostly satisfying I wish Skeeter's life had been wrapped up a little better.

I also didn't really care for a smattering of bad language. And, even though it has been compared to To Kill a Mockingbird I think To Kill a Mockingbird is quite a bit better. Overall, a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.