Courtney's Reviews > The Beginners

F 50x66
Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: don-t-bother-reading
Read in January, 2012

I just had to check out the reader reviews for this book after finishing it. I felt confused and sort of let down with the ending and the way it was written. I was hoping to find some answers in the reviews assuming that I must have overlooked some imortant passages revealing the plot of the story. Turns out everyone had the same problems I did. I was an english major and I have to say the extensive use of language in this book, although impressive, had me glossing over many words I did not know, which were many. I felt like I had to brush up on my vocabulary reading this.
There were promises of supernatural beings and witchcraft with a little history mixed in. But this book has me believing that the author googled a place in New England and got any info she could from wikipedia and stopped there. There were a good two sentences that referenced Salem history and the witch scare and then it turned into two insane asylum escapees raping children and getting them pregnant.
I finished it because I kept waiting for the story to get better, to conclude. It did not. The only reason I gave it two stars; great cover art, and it fooled me into believing it would have some gratifying climax or conlusion right up to the end.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginners.