AH's Reviews > Sacrificial Magic

Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: arc-netgalley, ghosts, dark, favorites, zzread-feb-2012, witches, babr-reviews, own, 5-stars
Read from February 17 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

Awesome!

Once again I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to smack Chess or hug her. Sacrificial Magic took me on a fast paced, action-packed emotional ride. I could not put this book down.

Why was this book so wonderful? First of all, Stacia Kane is a genius. Her excellent world building and well-crafted story had phenomenal character development. The reader becomes emotionally invested to these characters

Let’s take Chess, for example. Chess is one of those characters that could have everything going for her, if only she cleaned up her act. Being a pill-popping addict not only defines her, it seems to allow her access to the Downside world. Her flaws make her realistic; her damaged sense of self becomes central to the story. So, do you take that kind of character and clean her up, or do you let her run loose and see where she ends up?

Chess runs loose, complete with her flaws and inner demons. Part of what makes her character so interesting is her inner dialogue. An abused child lost in the shuffle of the foster system with some pedophilic foster parents, Chess has self-medicated herself for years. She hates herself and has many self-destructive impulses. She has difficulty accepting her moments of happiness and doesn’t feel that she is worthy of a relationship. In short, she is truly messed up.

Yet she is also a character of contradictions. Despite her addiction, Chess is very good at her job. Her moments of clarity make her shine. She continues to astound me, especially her deductive reasoning. Chess is on the ball with her Church duties.

I did notice that for a junkie, Chess has gotten very paranoid about germs.

No discussion of any book in this series can be complete without talking about Terrible. What makes the reader swoon at the very mention of his name? Terrible is a gentle giant around Chess, but he is definitely not a doormat. He has expectations and he demands respect. Terrible is a large man, not very good looking. He has a heart of gold and he is devoted to Chess. And when he calls her “Chessiebomb”…I swoon.

There’s so much to love about the Downside Ghosts series. Dark urban fantasy readers should enjoy this series. Sacrificial Magic is the best book in the series so far….

Stacia Kane is interviewed on Badass Book Reviews here

Review posted on Badass Book Reviews

Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Books for a review copy of this book.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrificial Magic.

Regina I love this cover.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Me, too. I may be caught up in the series by the release.

message 3: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy I would like to read this one but I'm a little scared to.

Regina No question that it will be heart wrenching.

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Why are you scared? Did you read the short story Home? It fits between City of Ghosts and this one.

message 6: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy Nope. I'm scared that she's going to mess things up with Terrible again. Then I'm going to have to kill her. Then I'm going to get put in a mental institution for murdering a literary character. It's a spiral.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'm ready for some emotion.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Kat wrote: "Nope. I'm scared that she's going to mess things up with Terrible again. Then I'm going to have to kill her. Then I'm going to get put in a mental institution for murdering a literary character...."

Oh, she probably will. You could write your review from the mental institution - that might be interesting, right?

Mrs. Badass I had to stop because it was already getting angsty

message 10: by Mrs. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs. Badass ^^Because it was bedtime

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH OK. I've told the kids to fend for themselves for dinner. Want to read this and get to the good parts with Terrible. There are good parts with Terrible, right? Tell me there are, please....

Regina LOL -- those darned kids! Kids and jobs always interfering. I think I may be okay with angst and emotion -- I just finished Georgina Kincaid after all! I think that broke me in for some more.

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH So far, I've noticed something about Chess. For a junkie, she seems overly concerned about cleanliness and germs. Thought that was different.

Regina Hmmm, that is interesting. I never thought of the contrast before. Off to watch a movie with the hubs, drink some wine and eat some cheese. :)

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Nice. Enjoy!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Kat wrote: "Nope. I'm scared that she's going to mess things up with Terrible again. Then I'm going to have to kill her. Then I'm going to get put in a mental institution for murdering a literary character...."

lol!

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews You know it sucks when you get denied for this, and then immediately are auto approved for the next book you ask for! Stupid idiots. :(

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I tell you, it's the phase of the moon, combined with the position of the stars.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews HA! Good one

Jamie Yeah! So glad you loved it!

message 21: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Loved it! Got to gather up the thoughts to write a spoiler free review.

Jamie AH wrote: "Loved it! Got to gather up the thoughts to write a spoiler free review."

I wrote one that is fairly spoiler-free, but it was very difficult. I must have highlighted 30 quotes/passages on my Kindle, lol! Like I've said before, Stacia Kane does not disappoint!

message 23: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Jamie wrote: " I must have highlighted 30 quotes/passages on my Kindle, lol! Like I've said before, Stacia Kane does not disappoint! ..."

I highlighted a lot of quotes, too. So many favorite quotes to choose from...