Lynetta's Reviews > Oprah

U 50x66
Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: biography
Read in January, 2012

Kitty Kelley presents a lot of research on the ugly side of an internationally successful woman. Her complexity, stinginess, and demands are documented. She's portrayed as a spiteful opportunist. She had on her show "a young woman so sexually addicted that one night she had twenty-five men in her bed," as well as a "Does Sexual Size Matter?"...a discussion about penis size. (p. 7) She claims to have been raped from age nine until she was being paid money for sex at age 14.

She claimed "I never had a store-bought dress," "We were so poor we couldn't afford a dog or cat, so I made pets out of two cockroaches." (p. 18). "We were colored folks back then...and colored folks lived outside the city limits with no running water...A two-holer with nothin' but a Sears and Roebuck catalogue to wipe yo'self clean." (p. 19)Her sister, Patricia denies this saying, "But Oprah exaggerated how bad we had it...She never had cockroaches for pets. She always had a dog. She also had a white cat, an eel in an aquarium, and a parakeet called Bo-Peep that she tried to teach to talk." (p. 19) "Where Oprah got that nonsense about growing up in filth and roaches I have no idea. Aunt Hat kept a spotless house. . . . It was a wooden, six-room house with a large living room that had a fireplace and rocking chairs. ...The dining room was filled with beautiful Chippendale furniture." (p. 20)

These quotes set the tone for the rest of the book. As an adult she "discussed her $500 mink eyelashes," (p 401)the "black Bentley Azure in a dealership window" which she buys for $365,000, and a Diabolo watch for $117,000. (p. 402)

She is quite adamant about disliking welfare mothers for sitting around with their feet up collecting money.

We have a major election coming up with such things contrasted by the two contestants....the success of the rich and how they should not pay taxes and how money will trickle down to welfare mothers.
As a long-term Tennessee State employee there is a natural curiousity about the most famous person who attended here. It seems as well to me that our paths will never cross....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oprah.