Beth's Reviews > Good Grief

Feb 08, 12

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing, fiction-general, chicklit-sappy-light-or-pointless
Read from January 29 to February 08, 2012

This really should be a 3.5 stars.

This book has been sitting on my shelf for so long, I don’t even remember why I originally purchased it. I admit that one of the reasons I passed over this book so many times is because I figured it would be depressing, all about death/dying, or too much of a chick-lit-book, or maybe just not very interesting. Well, sure, there was a bit about death and dying, but the author finds a realistic way of looking at how people tend to deal with grief over the death of a loved one, even showing the humorous side of some of the things grieving people may find themselves doing. And it definitely was not a chick-lit-book – it was just a story about people and life.

Overall, this was a really well-written story. I thought the characters were interesting and I enjoyed watching the progression in their relationships and the fact that none of the characters or their relationships were perfect, as in real life. By the end of the story, I felt that everything wrapped up the way it should have, and I turned the final page with satisfaction.

The only thing that I was even slightly disappointed in was the fact that the reader never learns what the name of Sophie’s bakery is. I wanted to know if it would have a name that would somehow honor Ethan, or somehow honor Sophie for all of the strides she’d made in her life since Ethan’s death – or neither. I wonder why the author decided to leave the name out of the story?

Regardless, this book was very enjoyable overall. I can’t remember reading anything else by this author, but now that I have, I may have to seek out more.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Grief.

01/31/2012 page 37

Carmen Great point! I also wanted to know the name of the bakery!