Germaine (Marie) Semodio's Reviews > Harold and the Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Jan 29, 12

Read in January, 2012

My first impression of this book when I decided to pick it out of the list for this week's reading was that it would be about a boy learning to write or draw with a purple crayon. However, when I started flipping through the pages, doing my initial check - my eyes saw pages of a monster, the boy at sea, climbing a mountain, and immediately I had flipped back to the first page and started reading. The shape of the book is landscape. The author's purpose in doing so might be because the story is portraying the adventures of an imaginative young boy, therefore landscapes would be appropriate to use when drawing out these elaborate adventures. The art style is always something I struggle to identify because I am artistically un-inclined as I mentioned in one of my other reviews. The type face is a simple Times New Roman font in a 16 size, maybe? I feel that the words really added to the story and they incorporated so well into the page design. The composition is full bleed and I believe that is because it's the author's attempt to involve the reader in Harold's adventures. Overall, it was a great read and I enjoyed reading it out to my little nephews and nieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harold and the Purple Crayon.