Clare's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from June 15 to 17, 2012

I remember reading Graceling when everyone else was reading The Hunger Games. The premise of the two books sounds similar on the surface -- strong female characters with fighting skills (Katsa and Katniss) and social commentary on the state of the world. As much as I liked The Hunger Games series I thought they weakened with each sequel. I felt no such thing with these books (Graceling, Fire, Bitterblue). As in many YA books, sometimes the social commentary hammers a bit hard, but never to the point where I lost interest. In Graceling we loved Katsa, and in Bitterblue she is part of a supporting cast of strong women and men who support Queen Bitterblue as she tries to put her kingdom back together following the death of her evil father, King Leck. Mystery and intrigue surround her as she has to sort out who is on her side, and who is working against her. But there's no "good vs. evil" dichotomy here, rather a theme of trauma and reparation, which is one of the strengths of the story. And, of course, there's love, which every teenage queen needs. Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

06/16/2012 page 350
62.0% "I'm enjoying this just as much as I did Graceling and Fire. I love these characters and hope we see more of them."