Crystal's Reviews > The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David A. Whitsett

Jul 11, 2008

bookshelves: health-fitness-and-nutrition, own, all-time-favorites
Read in January, 2009

UPDATE: May 18th, 2009
I said in my original review I'd come back to give an update. I wished more people had done that when I was reading the reviews of this book. So....my husband and I ran the Ogden, UT marathon two days ago. Long story short...this book helped get us there. Follow this plan...you can do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book is so much more than just a training schedule, as I originally assumed it would be. It gives you the tools to be able to accomplish one of the most physically and mentally challenging (Not that I know from experience, but I'm hoping to know very soon) things a person can do. It's inspiring, motivating, exciting, challenging. I teared up a few times imagining what it will feel like to do this and to cross that finish line. I already know I'm going to bawl like a baby.

This book appealed to the psychology major in me. It talks a lot about having an internal locus of control. Which is basically when we believe the place of control in our lives is somewhere inside of us as compared to believing that our lives are controlled by forces outside ourselves. It's realizing that we can do what we put our minds to. No one is stopping me but me. I control my own destiny. We shape our own realities, other people and situation don't. And although I can't control everything that happens TO me, I can control how I react to and use those things. And I can let them hurt or help me.

There were people in this program who had never run, people who HATED to run, people who had not run in years or more than 2 miles in their lifetime. Some people had bad knees, bad backs, flat feet, were over weight, a few middle aged, young, parents, single, and some experienced runners, but none who had run a marathon. I found myself relating to many of them. I'm scared about my back and scared about my knees. I don't want more injuries. I worry that I am too out of shape, that I don't have what it takes, that I will fail. Many people who shared their stories had these same problems, some didn't. But every person in the book shared the same fear, and all but one finished the marathon.

The book gives information on what clothing to wear for specific weather and types of runs, advice on shoes, types of feet and gait, what foods to eat when training, mental tricks to help motivate ourselves, how to warm up, warm down, stretches, how to avoid and take care of injuries, running on different types of terrain, and everything in between. I will be re-reading it during the 16 weeks that I train because that is how it is meant to be read. One chapter a week focusing on what you need to know for that specific week you are in. The runs are scheduled for only 4 days a week as opposed to 6 days a week like in many other training schedules. I would recommend this book for non runners and runners as I know a few seasoned runners who swear by this program for their repeat marathons.

According to this book, and all the testimonies inside it, if you are apparently healthy and you follow this plan, you CAN run a marathon. I intend to find out. I'm excited to do this. I begin the formal 16 week plan in 3 1/2 weeks. I'll be back in 20 weeks or so after the big race to give my update.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer.

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Moore Crystal, You can do it!

Crystal Thanks for your support and knowledge Jenn.

message 3: by Burdetteworld (new)

Burdetteworld Wow! I had no idea you were doing this, but good for you!!! Did you cry when you finished the race? Did you ever run before? I find this fascinating, because many of the excuses are ones that I have. I consider myself a NONRUNNER!

Crystal Hey, thanks Adrienne. I just noticed you wrote this. Yes, it was an amazing experience! If you'd like to read my (very longwinded) thoughts on it, I blogged about it. You can send me your email address so I can give you access if you are interested... :)

message 5: by Burdetteworld (new)

Burdetteworld Crystal wrote: "Hey, thanks Adrienne. I just noticed you wrote this. Yes, it was an amazing experience! If you'd like to read my (very longwinded) thoughts on it, I blogged about it. You can send me your email ..."

Would love to keep up with you on your blog! My address Burdetteworld@rapidwave.net