Barbara's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, mystery-romance, mystery-historical
Read on January 29, 2012

I loved this series since I stumbled upon it as a Kindle freebie for Silent in the Grave. I bought the Kindle trilogy after reading Silent in the Grave, so I could continue reading the series. I will say I was a bit disappointed with the 4th in the series, Dark Road to Darjeeling. The dark, brooding, handsome hero, Nicholas Brisbane was absent for part of that book and I think that was a big problem for me. Part of the reason I love this series is Brisbane’s and Julia’s relationship and budding partnership.

In this book they are back in London and their new marriage is sorely tested by Julia’s insistence on being Brisbane’s partner in his enquiry business and Brisbane’s insistence on protecting and keeping Julia safe. The characters are set in Victorian times, so Brisbane’s tendency to treat his wife as a delicate flower to be protected and safe-guarded are understandable. As a “modern” woman, I also sympathize and understand Lady Julia’s ambitions and desires to be more than just Brisbane’s wife. While a bit distressing at times, their arguments and misunderstandings as they find their way and agree upon their roles in their marriage is a big part of the allure of the series.

The marital discord was a bit tedious at times. While I think I understand each protagonist perspective, I did want them to stop, listen, understand each other, grow-up and get beyond it. Also, Julia seemed uncharacteristically a “flake” in this book. While she can be impulsive and reckless at times, she is an intelligent woman (or has at least been portrayed as an intelligent woman until now). However early in this book she seems to be shallow and a bit clueless and reacts in a childish manner to her husband’s attempts to keep her safe from the unsavory and dangerous side of his business, which she seems willfully and childishly trying to ignore or understand. She deliberately seems to find ways to circumvent her husband, though her motives were well –intentioned.

Once you get past this part of the book, the read is very intriguing, enjoyable and ultimately enjoyable. Brisbane and Julia may be a fairy tale couple, in a sense; but are still believable enough to want, desire and aspire to in real life. (I would love a Brisbane of my own; but frankly, don’t think I could handle him.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.

Trisha I absolutely agree with you on the 4th in the series. The chemistry between Julia and Brisbane is the glue that binds this series.

Barbara Yes, its Julia and Brisbane and that keep me interested in this series. Have you tried the Tasha Alexander Lady Emily Ashton series? Reminds me of this series and I'm enjoying that one, as well.