Amy's Reviews > The Sisters Who Would Be Queen

The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by Leanda de Lisle

Feb 14, 2012

Read in January, 2012

This could be a difficult book to read due to the extreme hardships the sisters faced. Queen Jane wasn't so bad as she's pretty famous and so is her fate. However, the book de-romanticizes her in a serious way and she comes out looking more like a religious fanatic (from her own letters and quotes) than an innocent victim. But I still enjoyed the romantic-sad movie Lady Jane afterwards, so don't worry too much. As for her sisters, I had to stop reading for a bit after the biography of the middle one. What Queen Elizabeth did to Lady Katherine was just cruel. Ditto for Lady Mary, the youngest, but she at least lived longer and died free.

Overall, this is a fascinating book because you hear about the lives of two relatively obscure Tudor women. Through them, we get a look at court life in the Tudor world that I hadn't seen before. It was cruel and hard, filled with politics disguised as marriage and manners. This isn't a book for the faint of heard, but I learned so much from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Who Would Be Queen.