Molly Purrington's Reviews > The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss

The Hare With Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal

F 50x66
Feb 09, 12

Read from January 29 to February 07, 2012

I wanted to like this book but I just didn't. It was ponderous and I felt like the author assumed that, because it was such an illustrious family and it was his, that we would automatically bear with all the extraneous detail that was not necessary in telling the story. I agree with some of the readers that the last 100 pages were good but that was when he concentrated on the story rather than the trappings and the wealth and the endless chronicling of all their possessions.

I was very glad I finished it so I could come to a final conclusion but it wasn't a favorable one and I am glad to be done with it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hare With Amber Eyes.

Molly Purrington I am truly having a hard time with this book. While it has a fascinating premise, i have gotten completely bogged down by the amount of detail in the book. I find myself talking to the author asking him to get on with the story. I may not finish this although the reviews do say it gets better in the end.