Meghan's Reviews > Catching Fire

6120127
Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: engl-492-outside-reading
Read from January 29 to February 06, 2012

** spoiler alert ** After winning the Hunger Games, Peeta and Katniss move to the Victor's Village and begin their tour through the district. Having to keep up with their foiled relationship proves to be difficult, but the pressure from the Capitol makes it imperative that they comply to save their lives, as well as their families. As the two victors travel to the other districts, Katniss senses rebellion and the Capitol blames her. As the next Hunger Games approaches, the rules are drastically changed and the districts being to change as well.

I'm not going to lie; as I read this book, I couldn't help but be frustrated with Suzanne Collins for basically recreating the first book with Peeta and Katniss being in the next Hunger Games together. I just couldn't imagine how both of them would survive another game and continue on with their lives. However, the ending made it SO worth it. As everything came together at the end, consider my mind blown! The myth of District 13 was confirmed and the rebellion was a full swing. After I read this book, I immediately ran to my library and checked out Mockingjay.

The only complaint I have about this book is that it was difficult for me to picture the playing field for this hunger games. In this first book, everything was so descriptive and the images in my head were clear. I struggled a bit with this one, but it was well worth it.

Although I don't think this is good teaching material, I think The Hunger Games would definitely be an option for teaching in my classroom. If my students enjoyed The Hunger Games, recommending the second book in the series would be a great way to encourage them to continue reading for pleasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.