Amy's Reviews > Jane Austen

Jane Austen by Carol Shields

Jan 29, 2012

Read from January 28 to 29, 2012

An excellent biography, not very thick, of Jane Austen. Carol Shields has a delightful voice and I liked her contrasting pictures of Jane Austen the person and the writer. She frequently references letters or other biographies writen by Austen's neices and nephews, giving her work, in my opinion, a more solid standing. I found her knowledgable references to Austen's books facinating and I like her clear, yet enchanting, writing style.
This book might have gotten five stars, as far as biographies go, but it seemed to falter a little near the end. She repeats herself a few to many times and the entire last chapter was, in my opinion, quite needless. A better summery of what Austen's influence has been might have been better.
Though I am avid reader of everything Jane Austen, my main experience with her as a person was a rather scarring introduction through the movie Becoming Jane (never, ever take a barely 14-year-old, a 12 year old, and a 11 year old to see that movie in theaters) and, perhaps because of that, I never explored her as authoress. I reccomend this biography as a good summery of her life, well written, and, if not perfect, at least a starting point to understand the unique blend and layers of this famed authores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Austen.