Theresa's Reviews > Doc

Doc by Mary Doria Russell

F_50x66
Feb 03, 12

Read from January 22 to February 01, 2012

The critic of The Washington Post named this as one of the best fiction books of 2010, which was my reason for reading it. I really don't think I agree with him. I almost gave the book three stars, but when I looked at other books that merited three stars in my reviews, this one was lacking. This novel is the story of Doc Holliday of TV and OK Corral fame. Wyatt Earp and his brothers and Bat Masterson are also major characters in the novel. I admit that my knowledge of these individuals is limited by the 1960's Westerns that were a major part of my television viewing at that time. I guess I just found the book rather boring. There were way too many descriptions of Doc’s consumptive coughs and blood filled handkerchiefs. (Did he have tuberculosis in the TV show? I was rather young at the time, but I also do not remember that “Doc” referred to his profession as a dentist, not an M.D.) I would only recommend this book if you are a true fan of Westerns and enjoy reading about cowboys living it up in the brothels and saloons of Dodge City after a long cattle drive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doc.