Brian's Reviews > The Chronicles of Narnia

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Jul 03, 07

bookshelves: british-lit, fantasy
Read in September, 2005

Favorites: "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", "Prince Caspian", "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", and "The Magician's Nephew". Part of my whole mid-life literary crisis; I might have enjoyed them more if I'd read them as a kid. But I still enjoyed them, nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Narnia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Milli Mid-life in your mid-twenties?

Brian yes. see, it was a mid-life crisis based on events that i felt should have happened in my childhood. so it gets the same 20-year difference or so, even if the appellation is a bit off.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Maybe I'm just not a fan of fantasy fiction or maybe I should have read them as a kid as well, but I think The Chronicles are only OK. And highly overrated by most Christians.

Brian I don't know if they're overrated, but it does seem cliche to absolutely adore them just because one is a Christian. It almost felt weird to give it four stars instead of five, as if I'd have to repent or something, or suffer being ostracized from the Christian community. Seems there's a general cult of personality around Lewis anyway in some Christian circles, as if he were the only spokesman for the faith, or as if he couldn't say or do anything wrong (kind of like Paul). He is, perhaps, one of the best for making complex theology accessible to laymen, but I bet if people gave it a shot they'd find they could take the same common sensical approach he took to discussing God and the Christian life--perhaps not to the same depths, but at least along the same lines. Nevertheless, I feel I can truly say I "really liked" these books, thus deserving four stars, because they were both enjoyable and thought-provoking, and that's an excellent combination. Anyway, I'm kind of a sucker for adventure and discovery, which is why "Voyage" is probably my favorite.