Emilie's Reviews > Wide Sargasso Sea

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Feb 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, queen-of-bedlam
Read from January 29 to February 01, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Sargasso Sea.

Quotes Emilie Liked

Jean Rhys
“If she says goodbye perhaps adieu. Adieu - like those old time songs she sang. Always adieu (and all songs say it). If she too says it, or weeps, I'll take her in my arms, my lunatic. She's mad but mine, mine. What will I care for gods or devils or for Fate itself. If she smiles or weeps or both. For me.”

Jean Rhys
“I watched her die many times. In my way, not in hers. In sunlight, in shadow, by moonlight, by candlelight. In the long afternoons when the house was empty. Only the sun was there to keep us company. We shut him out. And why not? Very soon she was as eager for what's called loving as I was - more lost and drowned afterwards.”

Jean Rhys
“Your red dress,’ she said, and laughed.

But I looked at the dress on the floor and it was as if the fire had spread across the room. It was beautiful and it reminded me of something I must do. I will remember I thought. I will remember quite soon now.”
Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-12 of 12) </span> <span class="smallText">(12 new)</span>

Emilie i'm only a few pages in, but i am loving her voice and her style. she's 'got rhythm.'

message 2: by jo (new) - added it

jo i really have to re-read this.

Emilie this just tore me apart.

message 4: by jo (new) - added it

jo scratch what i said.

Emilie yeah, i think you want to wait with this. it really builds in intensity to being deeply unsettling. i spent the last half cringing and crying. it's not puppies! i need some puppies now.

Emilie i am not so good at choosing puppies!

message 7: by Emilie (last edited Feb 02, 2012 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emilie thanks! i have to abandon it for tonight. i guess i'm going to leave it as it is for now and (hopefully) flesh it out later. there's so much in this book.

Miriam Here, I give you several puppies so you don't have to choose.

Emilie aw! *grins*

Emilie ps-i think that the introduction in this edition is misleading. the narrators are not distinguished by section, both mr. rochester and antoinette narrate the middle section.

also, i think i am oversimplifying the portrayal of mr rochester. i think that what i say is true, and i also think he is more sympathetic at the same time, or at least, more understandable than i represent him to be.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I love your review!! There was no like button underneath it :)

Emilie thanks, jennifer.