Diana's Reviews > Season of Storms

F_50x66
Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: library-books
Read from January 29 to February 07, 2012

This is tough. Not the typical Susanna Kearsley work by any stretch of the imagination. I thought it was perhaps her first novel, but that was Marianna, which was, in spite of my lack of enthusiasm for it in comparison to The Winter Sea and the exquisite The Rose Garden, vastly superior to this.

I think the device of trying to fit the story into the structure of the 5 acts of the play caused the real problem. The entire first act trip through Venice was dull. What little foreshadow there was didn't seem worth the effort. So many promising elements lost their thread - the tarot, the roommate, etc. Then the second act, which I vaguely recall as creating tension, was again slow to develop. In fact, I almost gave up.

Am I glad I slugged through it? Probably yes, the remaining 3 acts were much better and provided reasonable climax/reversal/denouement (sp?). The prose is still really good. The story is entertaining - once it finally starts in earnest. A lot of the story is fairly predictable - the bad guys were easily identifiable, the big reveal was obvious and the romance was reasonably easy to peg; but there were a couple of surprises.

I gather that after Marianna, Ms. Kearsley experimented with other ideas before going back to a time travel concept. Although this work contains a story from the past, the intertwining is not her usual brilliantly crafted story, multi-era story.

Maybe this is a must-read only for die-hard Susanna Kearsley fans? It does make me leery about running out to get more of her older work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season of Storms.

02/06/2012 page 138
31.0% "I generally love Susanna Kearsley's books. The Rose GArden is definitely a favorite, but this one is slooooow moving. Will anything happen? Will the milquetoast heroine get the guy? Was the tarot foreshadow for naught? Is something sinister happening at Il Piacere? So far not more than a yawn..."