Diane's Reviews > The Lies We Told

1974534
Jan 29, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

Rebecca and Maya are sisters and physicians. They have survived a traumatic childhood ~their parents were murdered in their driveway. Rebecca refused to allow Maya to go to a foster home and gave up a lot to raise Maya. While Rebecca works for a disaster aid company and seems to have trouble settling down, Maya is a paediatrician with a speciality in orthopaedics and works in a safe, hospital environment with a loving husband and wants to start a family. Maya and Rebecca both have secrets; from each other and the significant others in their lives. While the sisters are close, each is afraid that their lies and secrets could tear them apart.

When Rebecca and Adam, Maya's husband, fly to a disaster area to help with relief, Maya goes outside of her comfort zone and flies there to be with them. After a horrific accident that Maya is involved in, everyone suspects that she has died, including Rebecca and Adam. Meanwhile Maya is living her days in fear and desperation after being rescued by a seemingly nice couple.

The story continues on from both Maya and Rebecca's perspective. I enjoyed both sides of their journeys but it was towards the end of the book that I found myself wishing the author had chosen another route. The ending did not ring true for me. It was only two weeks that had passed since Maya's disappearance and fateful return, yet Rebecca and Adam were having their own love story, with looks and feelings that seem to have come out of nowhere. I didn't buy it and it was completely unrealistic. Maya's own reaction told in the epilogue was also ringing false to me. I just didn't think the ending fit the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies We Told.