Tawnee's Reviews > Big Questions

Big Questions by Anders Nilsen

7101987
Jan 29, 12

oh my godddd this was book is so beautiful and perfect. it is a 650 page graphic novel, gorgeously designed in all black-and-white, featuring talking birds discussing “big questions” that arise when a bomb drops and a plane crashes into a nearby field. the story is profound without feeling heavy-handed, in a way that makes me think of calvin and hobbes. actually, specifically it made me think of this strip, which always made me choke up as a kid. i think it also feels similar to calvin and hobbes in the gorgeous and considered way that every panel has been handled- so often in graphic novels and comics i have found that the actual art seems to feel secondary to the story, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but there have been many comics where my eyes sort of flit over the artwork instead of really looking at each panel individually. nilsen’s artwork is absolutely as beautiful as the story, and i would spend time just soaking up the artwork before moving onto the next page. i could not recommend this book more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Questions.