Jade Eby's Reviews > The Woman Who Loved Jesse James

The Woman Who Loved Jesse James by Cindi Myers

Oct 21, 12

Read from October 08 to 21, 2012

Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

Ahh, this was a breath of fresh air. I hadn't read a good old historical fiction novel in quite a long time so this book was a welcome sight. I've always had a fascination with Jesse James and since I'm from Missouri, I've had this illustrious image of him and Zee in my mind for a long time. I was curious to see how Myers would mingle fact and fiction in this book and I'm glad to say that I think she did a great job. This book kind of reminded me of Rhett Butler's People..that kind of "the other person's story" kind of thing.

I think Myers did a great job of developing her characters. At times, I felt like I knew who Jesse and Zee were as people even though I know logically, that's not exactly who they were in real life. I loved the development of their relationship though it was really doomed from the start. I loved the tenacity of Zee and the fact that she felt so strongly about Jesse that she would forgot her families concerns and objections to being with him. I think the thing I loved the most about this book was the historical facts though. I felt like this was a very throughly researched book and I found myself pulling up my computer every couple chapters to read further into something I'd just learned from the book. Of course, I loved the sense of adventure in the book, and I liked having a different view of things than from the typical view of Jesse James. I thought having a female voice have a huge stake in the story was great and I really did love Zee as a character.

As much as I did like this book, there were a lot of places that just dragged on and on. There were several areas of the book, most unnecessary detail or random musings from Zee that I could have done without. I was nervous about even finishing the book because I put it down and picked it up so many times. Other than the numerous peaks and valleys in the book, that was really my only complaint.

Overall, I really liked this novel and thought it was a fresh/unique twist on the old Jesse James story. I think fans of historical fiction will really enjoy this book and find it a worthwhile read!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Loved Jesse James.

message 1: by Terri M. (new) - added it

Terri M. Ooo, this one sounds good.

Jade Eby I think it's really good so far!