Phillip's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings The Collector Edition

The Lord of the Rings The Collector Edition by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: favorites, favorites-among-favorites
read count: 13

I have read this at least 13 times. My first time was in middle school during the 70s. My friends kept talking about "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" so I wanted to read them too. I loved "The Hobbit" and found "The Lord of the Rings" to be pretty stiff reading.

I pushed my way through it. It is one of those books that I gravitate back to even if the first reading was unsatisfactory. I read "The Hobbit" a lot of times in High School.

I think my break through reading was when I was an undergraduate in college. I had a course on Space Age Mythologies in the sociology department. We had one week to read "The Lord of the Rings". So I took advantage of the opportunity and spent those days reading in the library. I believe it was my 3rd reading. I had liked it before but that was when I started to love it.

Why do I love it? I don't know. It is unique and beautiful in so many ways and it is an imaginative space I like to be in. Also, it is a broad canvas to explore. Obviously, LOTR stands up to multiple readings, but with the Silmarillion and "The History of Middle-earth" there is the opportunity to explore and explore. I like reading Tolkien criticism. It interests me that the work stands up to that sort of examination as well.

In the end, it is a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings The Collector Edition.