Cory Mortell's Reviews > Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

U_50x66
Jan 29, 12

The book Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell was a greatly inspiring and heart-wrenching book. This book is about Marcus Luttrell himself, on his journey into Afghanistan with three of his friends that he met in his rugged training to be a seal; Mathew Axelson, Danny Dietz, and Micheal Murphy. While in Afghanistan the four are in battle against a Taliban leader Sharmek and his men. All three of Marcus’s buddies are killed in battle and he is left alone on a mission to survive by himself. It is not easy for him to go on by himself without any back up, along with suffering terrible injuries like being shot and being bombarded by RPG’s. Luckily he is found by a tribesman from one of the villages who is friendly to him and opposes the Taliban or Al Qaeda. This tribesman is Sarawa and he helps Marcus and nurtures him back to health along with the help of another man named Gulab.
After staying in the village for five or six days he is rescued by American troops and brought back safely to the U.S. Marcus’s family was very relieved and happy he was safe. They were not aware that he was all alone in the Hindu Kush Mountains; for all they knew he could have been dead. In coming back it took a lot of weight off of everyone’s shoulders. Since this whole story happened in recent years, it is easy to see how this book could be used as a way to understand this point in time during the war.
During the time period when this book was taking place it shows one of the many war stories that took place at the same time. At this time The U.S.A was well into a war in Iraq and also in Afghanistan. This book helps people like myself and others, who could never step foot in the shoes of what Marcus and many other troops at this time, to understand what they were going through. It shows the struggle and hardships of training and fighting in this long and sad war. As Marcus was up in the mountains all alone he states that “It was like he was a hunted animal all alone in wild country.”( Luttrell 263). Throughout the whole book Marcus stresses strongly that during this time in the war the U.S media and politicians make fighting a whole lot harder. He tells how the rules of engagement set by the government are very hard to go by while fighting. He states “The situation might look simple in Washington, where the human rights of terrorists are often given high priority. However, from the standpoint of the U.S. combat soldier, Ranger, SEAL, Green Beret, or whatever, those ROE (Rules of Engagement) represent a very serious conundrum.”(Luttrell 37). It is clear that this book is a great tool in helping people to understand the events that were going on in war during this time.
There is no doubt in my mind that this was one of the best books I have read in my life. Unlike, most books I have read, right from the beginning all the way up until the end it was full of action and it kept me wanting to read more. Right in the first chapter he tells how he and other SEAL’s were charging into houses and interrogating people “Our lead man would head the charge inside, which was a shock for the residents. They’d wake up real quick to face a big group of masked men, with their machine guns leveled.”(Luttrell 26)The book was a very fast paced read, mostly because it flowed very well and I also found it very interesting due to the fact that it was action packed. I also love survival stories, even though it also talks of the training and hardships of being a Navy SEAL aside from survival. As it would be for someone with little knowledge of war, it could be a tough read, but in regards to myself I found it a very entertaining book. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to mostly anyone who is in grades eight and up, and I would give it a rating of 5 out of 5.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Survivor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Ambrose A. Solid review. I'm not sure why I couldn't find it before, but I'm glad I did, because you did a nice job. Lots of good particular details, including the quotes. I'm glad you found a book that you liked.