hayden's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Sep 08, 2015

bookshelves: all-time-favorites
Read from September 14 to 15, 2013

I will never be able to write a proper review of this book.

Because I love, love, love it.

I love reading about terrible people and their terrible desires to do terrible things to other terrible people.

Hell, The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite novels, and it's just rife with terrible people. Gone Girl is a favorite, too -- there is no doubt about it. I've already seen the film adaptation (twice!), and love it as its own entity. Books and movies are separate entities, even in the case of adaptations, and in both film and novel aspects, Gone Girl is a favorite.

I am positively itching for Flynn's next novel.

P.S. #TeamAmy
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

Quotes hayden Liked

Gillian Flynn
“There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.”

Gillian Flynn
“Sleep is like a cat: It only comes to you if you ignore it.”

Gillian Flynn
“I felt a queasy mixture of relief and horror: when you finally stop an itch and realize it’s because you’ve ripped a hole in your skin.”

Gillian Flynn
“Friends see most of each other’s flaws. Spouses see every awful last bit.”

Gillian Flynn
“It’s a very difficult era in which to be a person, just a real, actual person, instead of a collection of personality traits selected from an endless Automat of characters.”

Gillian Flynn
“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain. (How do you know you’re not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: “I like strong women.” If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because “I like strong women” is code for “I hate strong women.”)”

Gillian Flynn
“Because isn’t that the point of every relationship: to be known by someone else, to be understood? He gets me. She gets me. Isn’t that the simple magic phrase?”

Gillian Flynn
“My gosh, Nick, why are you so wonderful to me?'

He was supposed to say: You deserve it. I love you.

But he said, 'Because I feel sorry for you.'

'Why?'

'Because every morning you have to wake up and be you.”

Gillian Flynn
“I don't understand the point of being together if you're not the happiest.”

Gillian Flynn
“I often don't say things out loud, even when I should. I contain and compartmentalize to a disturbing degree: In my belly-basement are hundreds of bottles of rage, despair, fear, but you'd never guess from looking at me.”

Gillian Flynn
“Tampon commercial, detergent commercial, maxi pad commercial, windex commercial - you'd think all women do is clean and bleed.”

Gillian Flynn
“There's a difference between really loving someone and loving the idea of her.”

Gillian Flynn
“I waited patiently - years - for the pendulum to swing the other way, for men to start reading Jane Austen, learn how to knit, pretend to love cosmos, organize scrapbook parties, and make out with each other while we leer. And then we'd say, Yeah, he's a Cool Guy.”

Gillian Flynn
“A lot of people lacked that gift: knowing when to fuck off.”

05/16/2012 page 5
1.0% "I really like Flynn's writing. Very . . . descriptive."
09/05/2013 marked as: wishlist