Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Dark Frost

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

Jun 30, 2012

bookshelves: mello-s-june-challenge, paranormal-romance, mythology, sassy-heroines, hawt-heroes, magic, urban-fantasy, ya
Read on June 30, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Wow, the Mythos Academy steams right along with a brutal attack by the reapers and the Absolute Worst Thing Possible happening.

Things start off with a serious bang and Gwen becomes even more determined to find the Helheim dagger. The entire time, someone seems to be messing with her mind. I knew who it was the entire time. Nothing good ever comes out of Gwen meeting new people. New people always seem to be anti-Gwen and Bad Guys. So it wasn't surprising when she turned out to be exactly who I expected her to be. Her magic, however, was a little more shocking. Man, can't say that I like that chick at all. Not at all sorry about what happened to Preston, either. More than glad that douche is gone.

There were some times when I just felt bad for Gwen. Her friends were unhappy with her, but thankfully, those storylines weren't overly dragged out. Maybe the (view spoiler) made the reconciliations a little easy, but I was still glad things were patched up quickly. The tension between Gwen and Logan nearly drove me nuts, but we finally have a resolution on that front and I am happy with the result. Here's hoping to a lasting relationship.

That awful night sucked. I should have known it would happen, but I was never sure if Estep would take the series in that direction, but she did. And violently so. I like the fact that Estep doesn't shy away from violence in this series despite it being a YA. It makes the situation seem more real, more believable for the world these characters inhabit. She also isn't afraid to kill off characters. No main characters, yet, but I won't be surprised if not everyone is still standing in the end.

I was thrilled when the Fenrir wolf-now called Nott-returned to the story. I fell in love with her in the last book. I was so sad over what happened to her, but was still able to love how it worked out.

Gwen has now pretty much been given her ultimate mission. I can't wait to see what happens next. Especially, since like an idiot, I read the teaser for Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep (dat cover!). Now I'm all wtfbbq! what's going on?! How will Gwen get out of that!

This series still has me absorbed and I look forward to the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Frost.

06/30/2012
34.0% "Yeah! The Fenrir wolf is back and living in Gwen's dormroom. I hope to see it again."
06/30/2012
37.0% "Vivian has just become suspicious! Any new person Gwen meets is suspicious!"
06/30/2012
39.0% "These headache's Gwen has been getting are suspicious! Who am I kidding? Just about everything in this series is suspicious! Still, it seems like someone is trying to make Gwen see and hear things that aren't there."
06/30/2012
42.0% "Awww, that didn't go well at all."
06/30/2012
45.0% "Seems to be sucks to be Gwen time."
06/30/2012
47.0% "This chick is soooo suspect. She has to know about Gwen's magic and be behind those headaches. If it's someone else, I'll be really shocked."
06/30/2012
59.0% "I'm not seeing Savannah as the reaper girl. If it isn't Vivian, I don't know who it is."
06/30/2012
60.0% "I feel like Vivian is somehow directing Gwen's thoughts towards Savannah. She can alter what Gwen sees with her magic somehow. Bet she put that ring there herself."
06/30/2012
67.0% "Knew that was going to happen."
06/30/2012
68.0% "Knew she had to be a Gypsy, what with the mind powers and all. She's probably been stealing other peoples' powers, doing all the things Metis said Gwen could do with her magic. No wonder the reapers all knew about pyschometry."