Bethany's Reviews > Shelter

F_50x66
Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, thriller, mystery
Read in January, 2012

Mickey Bolitar's dad is dead. His mother is in rehab, and Mickey's brand-new girlfriend--the one he met at orientation for his brand new high school in the brand new city he now lives in with his Uncle Myron--is missing. Just vanished, without so much as a good-bye text. There's also the Bat Lady, a crazy old woman who, Mickey's already heard in whispers, kills teenagers.

Blah, blah, I'm already bored with the summary, and I didn't even get to the tattoo faced guy or Mickey's weird friends. I, geez, have read and liked a couple of Harlan Coben's adult mystery-thrillers, but this did not work for me at all. The teen detective thing is a little bit more of a stretch, especially when you throw in (view spoiler). I think he missed his audience, here. Also, there was plain too much going on for any kind of book for any audience. (view spoiler) I get that it's supposed to be a series, and the author is laying groundwork for future installments, but it was too much, too fast. Didn't work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter.