Sarah Jane's Reviews > The Complete History of Jack the Ripper

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: crime, history, non-fiction
Read from January 29 to March 08, 2012 — I own a copy

Not the best written, or indeed the best researched of all the Jack the Ripper books out there, but by no means the worst either. The text is a bit out of date now, and despite my having the 'new revised' edition, I didn't encounter any new theories.

What it is, is a reasonably good summary of the case, with a fairly interesting look at four key suspects.The author appears to have done little primary research of his own, but does do a credible job of collating the research of others, and is excellent at demonstrating how the 'facts' have been distorted over time to little resemble the truth.

What I did like about this book, is that the author doesn't profess to "KNOW" the identity of the Ripper, and nor does he seek to vilify or promote one suspect over the other. While he does make a conclusion of 'it's was more likely to be this guy than those others' he fully admits that he cannot prove this, as there is no conclusive evidence one way or another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete History of Jack the Ripper.

01/29/2012 page 19