Delilah's Reviews > Molly Gumnut Rescues a Bandicoot

Feb 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: adventure, children, stopped-reading, 50-2012, language-english
Read from January 30 to February 09, 2012

I got this book to review from the Read It & Reap project.

I have to admit that I never had any real contact with what they call children's literature when I was the age of this book's intended reader group. I learned to read with lots and lots of Greek legends, a side-dish of Hemmingway and hundreds of Mickey Mouse comics. The only books I read at the time that could be classified as actual children's literature, besides the Disney, were Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan, which I read in the 'original' German translation and not the 'child-friendly' shorter version.

In other words, I read stories that used a more elaborate, some might say even difficult vocabulary/language in primary school.

Now to the book at hand:

I really wanted to like the story. The setting reminded me so much of a favourite animated movie (Dot and the Kangaroo) that I could not help but want to like it. I wanted to feel for the bandicoot and Molly's problems. I wanted to. I really, really wanted to.

The story has potential. At least, I think it does. Finding the story under all the cutey-bitty two syllables or less in a word narration was a bit difficult for me. I don't know if children's books are supposed to be written like that these days. I've read Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl and they had more complex language. On the other hand, Potter and Fowl were also written (as far as I know, so I could be wrong) for ten year olds and up, not for seven/eight year olds like this book here.

For example, for every three uses of the word 'tummy' at least one time there could have been a 'stomach' or word of similar meaning. Children are young, not stupid, and writing as if they could not understand a word they might not use in their everyday speech is as strange as... as... I don't have a word for it.

Just one question: If children never see more complex words, how can they learn how to use them?
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Molly Gumnut Rescues a Bandicoot.

01/30/2012 page 30