Nikki's Reviews > The Grey King

The Grey King by Susan Cooper

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: based-on-myth-saga-etc, arthurian, children-s-and-ya, fantasy
Read on January 29, 2012

This one is probably my favourite book of the series. It always makes me feel hiraeth. One day, I need to visit the parts of Wales these books are set in, really. And get someone to coach me on how to pronounce them: the section where Bran teaches Will is quite helpful, but not as good as hearing someone say the place names. Alas, I speak very little Welsh.

I think Bran is my favourite character of the series. Barney's cute, but Bran has more depth, with his troubled past and how much he has to deal with. There's subtlety, too, in the emotions of all the characters -- there's a level on which it works best for adults, even, like understanding Owen Davies' feelings. But it works for everyone, on all levels, I think, too.

This is also more subtle in terms of seeing the Light and the Dark as extremes, which can each be bad in their own way. John Rowlands talks about the Light as being cold absolute good, without mercy or love, and that's an interesting way of looking at it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grey King.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ashley Brooke Love it! Nice review! This book is the reason I want to travel to Wales one day, too!

Nikki Well, Wales is my home, I just haven't been to the particular parts of it where this is set!

Ashley Brooke Ahhh, I see! :)