Emily's Reviews > The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: family-stories, fantasy, good-for-boys, mythology, ya-fiction, audio, 2012-reading-challenges
Read in January, 2012

Why I picked it up: It's the January book for my library book group. Plus, I was a big Percy Jackson fan and I'd been mildly curious about this series.

Carter and his sister, Sadie, only see each other twice a year. Each envy the other's lifestyle: Sadie is jealous that Carter gets to travel and be with their Egyptologist dad, while Carter longs for a normal life at a normal school like Sadie has living with their grandparents. The two are forced together when their dad releases powerful Egyptian Gods & Goddess and then disappears.

Part of the appeal of Percy Jackson, for me, was that I'm a big fan of Greek mythology. I don't know anything about Egyptian mythology, so I was concerned I'd be at a disadvantage for this book. Not so. I enjoyed it a whole lot. Part of my enjoyment came from the audiobook, with one narrator for Carter and one (with an English accent) for Sadie. This story is fun, has some expected and some unexpected twists and turns, and lots of big action scenes. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and I plan to continue reading the series. It was also nice to see the evolution of the sibling relationship between Carter & Sadie.

Jessica's Scavenger Hunt: Cross-Breed Animal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Pyramid.