Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

Feb 21, 12

Read from January 29 to February 21, 2012

Surprising in it's ability to keep me engaged. I liked it, but was thrown and often exasperated by the way the protagonist thought and spoke--not that she was perplexing, but the brand names and mini-lectures about stupid sheep high schoolers, drugs and alcohol was... odd. But bringing the whole wicca type religion into the world of teenagers and vampires? Hella cool.

The friends and love interest seem mostly like sounding boards at this point. The promise that the antagonist makes at the end of the book makes me hope that the High Priestess and the other vampires are not all that they seem.

Strangest of all though, I almost forgot to mention, is that so many famous people of the past are vampires, and many popular celebrities are also vampires, and yet they still face discrimination the way that gays do today. A better back story might have been celebrities coming out of the closet about their vampirism, and the schools only becoming prominent recently--explaining why the House of Night was a recent edition to Tulsa. That would also eliminate the token: anyone talented, ever, was a vampire. Had a few of them made it big, and the rest lived in fear, it would have been better. Imagining William Shakespeare with blue tattoos on his face was just... bizarre. So, makeup! Living in secret! Sounds more plausible.

As it stands... I'm itching to read the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

01/29/2012 page 27
01/29/2012 page 27
9.0% "I want to option this for a movie. I want to write the script, I want to do casting, and I want to direct. So, so bad."
01/30/2012 page 56
18.0% "Uh I think we just met the hero? Maybe this should be an animated movie........."
01/31/2012 page 90
37.0% "Oooookay. Alternate Universe here. Weeeiiiirdding me out."
02/06/2012 page 122
51.0% "I can't stop myself."
02/20/2012 page 199
83.0% "Sloppy--but I'm hooked! It lives up to it's potential in many ways."
show 2 hidden updates…