SilverRaindrops's Reviews > 100 Cupboards

100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson

Dec 26, 14

bookshelves: reviewstatus-reviewed, read-and-gave-away
Read in January, 2012

"100 Cupboards" tells the story of a young boy, coming to live with his aunt and uncle and three cousins in rural Kansas, who discovers cupboards that lead to different worlds.

The first book of the series concentrates a lot on the boy actually discovering the cupboards, and his transition from his previous sheltered city life to a small backwater where he enjoys much more freedom. It's not slow enough to bore you, but it's not so fast as to give you no chance to meet the characters. In fact, that was one of the nicest surprises. Time with the characters before the journey really takes off.

Another positive thing is the fact that the family are not just conveniently shipped off to somewhere else, but rather play important parts as well. That helps with the logic of the story, as well as to show what the kifs are up against. It also makes for interesting adult-children interaction, which is something I've been missing in other books.

As for the time-travel itself, it suffers from the utter confusion that usually takes over when someone travels to a place they know nothing about. Apart from helping the kids to figure out how to open the cupboards, there should have been a guide to tell them what to expect on the other side. I'm hoping the kids just skipped that part in excitement, and will come back to it, because the story took a rather weird turn from the point where their explorations started.

As first books go, this sets up the foundation for the rest of the series pretty nicely, and it certainly has some humour in it to lighten the dark parts and help with the slower pacing. The children, while a bit annoying at times, are believable, and the adults are just brilliantly written.

I've had a great time with the book even though the last part confused me to no end, which is why I've rounded up from 3.5 to 4 stars. Not recommended for those who need a fast pace, but otherwise a fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Cupboards.