Nenette's Reviews > Noah's Compass

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

Aug 31, 13

Read from August 28 to 31, 2013

Noah's ark did not have a sail since it did not need one. It didn't have a destination, it just drifted, waiting for the flood waters to subside. It didn't even need a compass for directions. Everything was left to fate, and faith.

It took me some musings to fit the book's title to the story. In the end, I surmised that it must be because Liam's life story was just like Noah's ark. He just drifted by, content with his semi-retirement, satisfied with what he has, wanting just the minimum.

Liam's is not so spectacular a life to write or read about, but a number of life lessons can be learned from the simplest things. Reading about Liam was like being aware (yet not involved) of an elderly neighbor's life story. Subconsciously, some of the decisions one makes are based on the lessons learned from the neighbor's story. In this light, it makes sense to read about Liam's story.

Come to think of it...In a way, my life story is more colorful than Liam's, so probably I can write and publish it, too...hmmm, I think I'll wait 'till I'm 60.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Compass.

08/28/2013 marked as: currently-reading