Susan's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: around-the-world, world-lit-asia-japan, own, found-in-translation, 1001-books, fiction-contemporary, magical-realism
Recommended for: Carla
Read from May 06 to June 14, 2012 — I own a copy

This was my first Murakami. It will not be my last. The descriptions transported me back to a part of Japan that I once knew well. The sounds, the scents, the feelings and emotions enveloped me as I read. Bittersweet in a way that resonated with his writing. It is very seldom that a writer has the ability to reach me with their words.

The other aspect of this particular book was that while I had worked my way through much of the mysticism, I had not managed to decipher all of the whole. It was a pleasant surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

05/06/2012 page 341
56.0% "Having trouble putting it down to finish other books."
06/13/2012 page 363
59.0% "Just started rereading after pausing until reading group started up."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susan The sound of the cicadas is described so very beautifully in this book.

This resonated with me ... maybe it woke me up.