Kate's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, favorites, 2012-audiobooks
Read from January 28 to 29, 2012

Graffiti Moon had the same kind of power and unique voice for me that Melina Marchetta’s Jellicoe Road did. Only it was a completely different book telling a completely different story. It just had that magic, though. That something.

It was an adventure, but the kind of an adventure it feels like almost anyone can have. This is one of the most relatable, real YA books that I’ve read in a long time. You felt for every character and every character was important and you got to know them. It was one of the few multiple point of view books I’ve ever liked, and the likability of the cast had a lot to do with that. And those points of views led to a really interesting format.

I loved the Poet sections because they were a great application of the technique. I’ll admit that I’m still not sure how I feel about the direct overlap. But I seeing Lucy and Ed’s different reactions to the same thing, but also the things that tied them together. Because that was a lot of the book for me, that tie between Lucy and Ed.

I loved how it showed those friendships growing too. And that everyone is not what they seem. The juxtaposition between Lucy’s tale of her first terrible date and then the Ed that she sees underneath? It was masterful. Lucy’s growth especially. And not really growth. It was more a…centering. She grew into who she already was underneath.

Graffiti Moon was a stunningly visual book. The descriptions, not only of the surrounds and the art and the physical, but of the emotions the characters themselves were feeling? Beautiful. It was so lyrical without feeling overdone. That might have been one of my favorite parts of the book. It had an 80s vibe in the sense that there was adventure, but it had a lot more heart.

Overall, Graffiti Moon was really uplifting. It was nice to read such a thoughtful book. And it was nice to read something that didn’t have vampires or witches or anything. It was a breath of fresh air to have something so soulful and so technically brilliant. I can’t wait to recommend this to everyone I’ve ever met and then just everyone in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrea I read this last year and adored it.
Another aussie YA book you might like that is a bit different and quite hilarious in a similar way to this book, is Finding Cassy Crazy.