Kimberly's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

May 14, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, mystery, 2012, own
Read from May 07 to 14, 2012

Well, knock me over with a feather! Charlaine Harris has redeemed herself with Deadlocked. I went into this with a whole lot of skepticism that Harris could write another great Sookie Stackhouse novel after the train wreck of the last one (well, it was a train wreck for me anyway compared to all of its predecessors). But, she pulled it off. It was clear from early on in the book that Deadlocked was good ol' Sookie Stackhouse. Maybe Harris took some of the criticisms about the last book to heart or maybe she was just more in the 'zone' writing this one, but either way I'm happy! Eric has gotten tedious for me over the last couple books (and I was a huge fan of his from the get-go), and, without giving anything away, I was pleased with by the end of the book with his relationship with Sookie. This was a real bread-and-butter Sookie story and it works. It isn't revolutionary, but that's not what you're looking for when you read a Sookie Stackhouse novel :)

I recommend anyone who had their faith shaken with the last book to give this one a go. This was library only for me, but I will buy it once it's in mass market paperback to go with the rest of my set (minus book 11, LOL). 4 solid stars.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

05/07/2012 "Reading this after The Snow Child is going to be like eating a Twinkie after having creme brulee. But, it's a library book so it's up next. At least it will be a light read for while we're at the beach the next couple days." 2 comments
05/10/2012 page 100
31.0% "So far, this seems to be an improvement upon the last book."

message 1: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki lol I've never had it quite THAT bad. How many copies tho? I can't even motivate myself to read the series and I'm at like book 5.

Heather Woah. 195th?? That's crazy!

message 3: by Kimberly (last edited Apr 10, 2012 11:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimberly There will be 35 copies available, but it's still going to take quite a while. I'm roughly 85th for another book right now and there are 22 copies of that and I've only climbed maybe two spots over the last couple weeks. It's not like I don't have anything else to read though, LOL :P

Heather LOL So true. We are never at a loss for something to read are we? :D

message 5: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki I don't understand when that happens...when a library has so many copies and yet you barely move on the list. Every three weeks at least you should move that number of copies...but seriously, it never happens. What the hell people, return the damn books if you've read them! This is why I try to get on the list asap so I can get one of the first copies.

Kimberly I didn't realize this was coming out so soon or I would totally have placed a hold ages ago. Since there are other holds on the books, people are supposedly to only have them for 2 weeks. Judging by how slowly the line is moving, I'm thinking people must be keeping copies until they're past due. Grrr.

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue total library book for me too - I'm pretty close to the top since I put on hold a while ago.

Kimberly You're lucky! Well, hopefully you're lucky and Deadlocked will be an improvement since the last book :)

Jennifer I really hope this one is better than the last few were. I can't 'not' read it but I hope I don't have to force my way through it. Can't wait till the next season of True Blood comes out this summer :)

Kimberly The last one was the worst for me. I'm really leery of this one, but I'm hoping for the best! Like you, I can't 'not' read it. I don't know about you, but I kind of miss Bill (not that I want Sookie to be with him--I just thinks he adds more interest to the story since he's more complex) and the fairy plotlines aren't very exciting to me. I've actually only ever seen the first two episodes of the first season of True Blood. Is it true that the newer seasons depart more from the books? I actually might like that more.

Jennifer They definitely do... a lot of things that I thought would happen on the show didn't happen at all in the books. For the most part, I've enjoyed that they were different although it's a bit mixed up in my head what happened where. I like Bill but I LOVE Eric so I'm happy with that :)

Kimberly I always preferred Eric over Bill, but Eric is increasingly getting on my nerves (especially in the beginning of this book). I'm really interested to see how this one pans out. I'm about 70 pages in right now and so far so good, but there is a lot of book left.

Jennifer I think I'll start today and we'll keep our fingers crossed that Eric becomes more like his old self :)

Kimberly Well, I won't give anything away, but I do think you'll be pleased by the end of the book with Sookie and Eric's relationship. I was! :) Harris really redeemed herself with this one--it's WAY better than the last book!

Jennifer SOOO happy to hear you say that! I started it... let you know what I think!

Kimberly Yes! Please do :) I hope I'm not totally crazy liking this one, LOL.

April Parrish This book was much better than the last one! I will say that if Sookie ends up with Sam in the next book,I will throw the book across the room.

Kimberly I'm curious as to what changed with Harris between the last book and this one. Whatever it was, it was for the better! I like Sam, but if Sookie sleeps with him I think it'll be a disaster in the long run. Plus, it's never good to mix business with pleasure!

Dania Rodriguez I keep wondering who sookie will end up with. Sam is way to deep in the friend zone in the series I thought.. But in the short story not too much...To be honest I'm confused at where Eric and sookie stand.. Who knows maybe they will have a great revelation. In the last book

Kimberly Which short story did you read with Sam? I've mainly given up on the short stories, because Harris usually has them revolve around more obscure characters. The ones I've read have been decent though.

message 21: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Kaplan I don't think we read the same book?

Kimberly Samantha wrote: "I don't think we read the same book?"

I'm guessing by your comment that you didn't like this one?

Jennifer I did :))