Martha Schwalbe's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

F 50x66
Jan 28, 12

Read in January, 2012

What do the Chilean miners and a fiendish Japanese prison guard have in common? They are part of my four degrees of separation through reading. This book, about miler Louie Zamperini, introduced me to Ray Hawkin, the first test pilot to fly mach 2. Last summer, I read The Bataan Death March where I met the Bird, a fiendish Japanese prison guard who tormented Zamperini. Just before reading Unbroken I read Trappedabaout the Chilean miners who were brought to the earth's surface in a tube designed by NASA scientists. The most historic NASA personality is Neil Armstrong whose biography I happen to be reading right now, flew with Ray Hawkin as a test pilot. I love the way it all flows together.
I really enjoyed the running and survival story of Zamperini but I am not sure this book is a young adult book. His story is inspirational and worth reading about, maybe as part of a history unit.
I would recommend it to accomplished readers who enjoy history because it is not a fast-paced book. There is a lot of down time which is appropriate for the kind of book it is.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.