Sparrow's Reviews > The City of Falling Angels

The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt

Jul 29, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, reviewed, audio
Read in July, 2008

Berendt is a very patient writer, which to me is neither a compliment or an insult. I listened to this on audio because I think Holter Graham is an excellent reader, and I think I liked the book, too. Large sections of it only loosely tied into the main story of the burning of Teatro La Fenice, Venice's opera house. Often, however these digressions were more interesting to me than the central story. For example, the story of Ezra Pound's papers was very compelling to me, probably because I have some frame of reference for that, whereas I knew nothing about Teatro La Fenice before listening to this book. Even in these side stories, however, I never lost confidence that Berendt would bring them together in the end. He never let the story out of his control, but remained omnicient as both author and protagonist (a word I feel comfortable using even though this is a work of non-fiction).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Falling Angels.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Your review does not convey why he is on your punching tour.

message 2: by Sparrow (last edited Feb 23, 2012 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sparrow Oh, I think that was an accident. I don't remember wanting to punch this book. But, sometimes i go through and change shelves, and I select the wrong thing.

But, when all of the book merging happened, I think some of my stuff got changed, so it might be that, too. Or, those might have been my own mistakes too. But, my rating on one of the Fionavar Tapestry books went from a 4 to a 2 at some point, and that makes me worried about whether my other ratings have mistakes. Anyway, I felt pretty neutral about this book as I recall..