Larisa's Reviews > Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right

Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken

Jul 10, 08

Recommended to Larisa by: Karl Wallace
Read in November, 2005

I read this book right after finishing Michael Moore's Stupid White Men, full of righteous indignation and certainty of our country's decline into hell. One day while reading Stupid White Men on the bus into school, I was recommended by a random stranger to definitely read Franken's book if I was enjoying Moore's. And I'm so glad I took the advice.

Although the subject matter is similar in content and views in the two books, I just BELIEVED Franken and enjoyed his book so much more. He tends to go off on fewer rambling, beligerent tangents than Moore, which had grown tedious and often seemed to negate what could have potentially been an excellent lesson in the sketchy politics and scheming of certain individuals in various positions of power due to his over-zealous tirade that bordered on mania. Franken, on the other hand, tended to present what I perceived as more factual material laced with his certain brand satirical, stinging wit. And while Moore was positively and brutally unyielding in his berating and scorn, Franken admitted exceptions to his generalizations and virtues in his agonists, giving him a more human approach to his subjects as opposed to the fanatical zealot that Moore seems to often portray. Franken's book is by no means spin-free, however, where appropriate, he added multiple references lending his views the impression of being based in reality and the points of his tirades substantial opportunity for follow-up, if I were so inclined (and I have to admit that I was not). Of course, it may not be a fair comparison since Franken did have a small army of eager, ivy-league fact-checkers and researchers on his side.

But on the whole, I much preferred Franken's means of delivering the message to that of Moore's, which I believe lends itself to easy dismissal by his rabid and sometimes frenzied presentation. I believe it would be possible to have a fair and lively debate with Franken, while with Moore, I'm afraid I would be too preoccupied with searching out protective gear and wiping his spit from my face to have any intelligent and balanced exchange.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them.