Cait's Reviews > The Descendants

Jun 19, 2016

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-like, fiction
Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I really didn't like this book I have to say. I liked it enough to finish it (it is a rarity if I don't finish a book that I start), but overall didn't like it.

I couldn't empathize with the dying wife. I felt bad that she was dying but I didn't like her character at all. The youngest daughter Scottie was made out to be this extreme 10 year old obsessed with sex and fitting in, that would have been more believable if she was 12-14, but not 10.

The oldest daughter was the most interesting but from the beginning of the book to the end she changed dramatically without there being any description of her changing and so she just seems almost like a completely new character at the end.

I felt like the whole selling of land aspect, the buyers, and the scheming of the wife could have been set up better, built up better. And at the end when he decides not to sell the land that scene should have been given a weight that it didn't get. It was no more than 4-5 pages and for something that was essentially the secondary plot to the book, it should have been given more thought.

I was really interested in this book when I originally bought it - especially since it has such great Oscar buzz, but I was disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Descendants.

06/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Hey Cait, thanks for the review! I really liked the movie, and now I see from your spoilers that the decisions made in the screenplay adaptation were warranted. Take a chance with the movie, you may like the changes.

message 2: by Cait (new) - rated it 1 star

Cait It's good to know that the movie is different than the book. I'll have to check it out!

Deanne This is the first time I have thought the movie was better than the book.

message 4: by Cait (new) - rated it 1 star

Cait You are the second person to say that to me and that never happens where the movie is better then the book. I'm really going to have to watch the movie.

Yllacaspia Interesting, because I actually had quite tepid feelings about the book and rather felt the film (which I enjoyed) eliminated some of the best bits.

message 6: by Cait (new) - rated it 1 star

Cait Yllacaspia wrote: "Interesting, because I actually had quite tepid feelings about the book and rather felt the film (which I enjoyed) eliminated some of the best bits."

Very interesting indeed. I haven't seen the movie yet.

message 7: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S The wife in the film is actually more sympathetic because there are no flashbacks to her questionable behavior.

message 8: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 9: by Cait (new) - rated it 1 star

Cait Interesting that they would make the wife a more sympathetic character - and I wonder how that effects the oldest daughter because in the book she knows everything and hates her mother for it.

message 10: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Nena-give the movie a chance. you might like it more than the book.

message 11: by Cait (new) - rated it 1 star

Cait the movie was much better than the book.

Angie Spoiler tags are our friends. :/