Cheralaine Cole-Johnson 's Reviews > Ashfall

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, adventure, all-time-favorites, boys-would-like-it, own, post-apocalyptic, young-adult, suspense
Recommended for: Ruth, Brynne, Siobhan, Katie
Read from February 02 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I am always on the hunt for books that would appeal to teen boys. This is a winner. It also scared me to pieces. I dare anyone who reads this to not think about where they would store water in their house or what backpacks can carry the most food.

Ales is a sullen fifteen year old who has been left at home alone for the weekend. His parents and bratty sister have gone to visit his uncle's family, 140 miles to the east. He refused to go and was none to nice when they left. About three hours later his (and everyone else's) life erupts, when the super volcano beneath Yellowstone explodes. His introduction is by a flaming rock punching a hole in his roof. What follows is his terrifying journey to find his family. Along the way he eventually picks up a travel companion who can fix just about anything. Like Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Ashfall deals with a natural disaster. In her work you see it from the perspective of a family that hunkers down and insulates themselves. In Mr. Mullin's novel Alex skis past all of those farms and his journey is much more dangerous. He also writes about the government's action/inaction in a very believable way. We have seen enough of how the government behaves in our current time that you don't think he has exaggerated conditions at the FEMA camp.

I sped through this in three days, then flipped back to the beginning and started all over again. I'm also still thinking about our survival plan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashfall.