Trisha's Reviews > Roots of Evil

Roots of Evil by Sarah Rayne

Aug 03, 08

bookshelves: murder-mystery, mystery, reviewed
Read in August, 2008

I just finished reading this book today (August 4th 2008) and I have to say that it was definitely a fascinating story. I'm not sure I could call the writing utterly compelling or awesome, but I still think it was a great story. There were quite a few typos throughout this edition of the book, and my typing fingers were itching to correct them. Also, there were a few sentences I wouldn't have minded rewording.

I thought the style of the story, jumping around from point of view to point of view (including travelling through time, back and forth quite frequently) was interesting. When I started reading I thought the book would be mostly from Lucy's point of view, but this turned out to be totally untrue. I thought it was kind of weird how suddenly Francesca and Michael were quite prominent characters, and I didn't remember them meeting in the first place, but they turned into a couple. Still, I could have missed something, or maybe everything does not need to be spelled out and I'm just going overboard with the expectations. :)

In any case, in some ways I felt the novel to be a tiny bit disorganised. But the story resolved itself, and all loose ends (those I was wondering about anyway) were resolved in the end.

Maybe it would've been better with some steamy sex scenes...but as it was I am glad I read the novel and I wouldn't refuse to read other novels of Sarah Rayne's!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roots of Evil.