Anna's Reviews > Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption

Kisses from Katie by Katie J. Davis

Jan 28, 2012

bookshelves: own
Read from January 28, 2012 to June 18, 2013

Kisses From Katie is a wonderful book about a girl who lived in Brentwood Tennessee, a very upscale, high society town, and on her sixteenth birthday went out to her favorite sushi restaurant and announced to her family that she wanted to postpone college and do a year of mission work. That didn't go over so well. After a year of convincing her parents, she finally got permission to go to Uganda and help in a orphanage for three weeks over Christmas break.... if she could get an adult to go with her. After looking and looking, she still didn't have anybody to go with her. Soooo she convinced her mom to go with her! Her mom went from reluctant to anxious excitement! They went over to Uganda and helped in the orphanage for three weeks, and Katie was hooked! She went back and finished her last year of high school, but she couldn't stop thinking about Uganda! after she finished she finally convinced her parents to let her do a year of mission work. She went back to Uganda and started teaching school for lower elementary aged children. After a while, she started looking for a house of her own, because she was living in a room off of the school. The only one she found that really was nice enough was a four bedroomed house. She was entirely against it because it was way to big for her and way to expensive. But there was nothing else to choose from, and the price kept coming down! God wanted her to have this house!! She finally agreed to it and she moved in. After that, she started adopting girls, and was so grateful for the house!! She now has fourteen little girls that she is adopting, she started Amazima ministries, is teaching women who have nothing to make jewelry, which they sell to make money, and is blessing hundreds or maybe even thousands of Ugandan people!
People always say to her, " You are so lucky that God has shown you His calling for your life" and she responds to them " I'm not lucky, God tells us that the two greatest commandments are to love God with all your heart and soul, and to love your neighbor as yourself. I don't want to be hungry so i don;t want anyone else to be hungry. God doesn't ask that we take care of the orphans and the widows. He COMMANDS it."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kisses from Katie.

Quotes Anna Liked

Katie J. Davis
“God reminded me how beautiful we all are to Him, after all, we were created in His own image, and He looks at me, at you, in all our sweat and dirt and brokenness, and says, "I choose you. You are beautiful.”

Katie J. Davis
“...because "Mommy" is forever. It's such a powerful name. Mommy means "I trust you." Mommy means "you will protect me." Mommy is for shouting when you need someone dependable and for laughing with when you are excited. Mommy is for crying on and cuddling with when you are sad, or giggling and hiding behind when you are embarrassed. Mommy is the fixer of boo-boos and the mender of broken hearts. Mommy is a comfort place - a safe place. Mommy means "you are mine and I am yours and we are family.”

Katie J. Davis
“It may take place in a foreign land or it may take place in your backyard, but I believe that we were each created to change the world for someone. To serve someone. To love someone the way Christ first loved us, to spread His light. This is the dream, and it is possible.”

Katie J. Davis
“One of the questions that surprised me most was this: “Mommy, if Jesus comes to live inside my heart, will I explode?”
“No!” I proclaimed as the children and I headed to the Nile River for a few of them to be baptized that day.
Then I thought about the question a bit more.
“Yes, if Jesus comes to live in your heart, you will explode.” That is exactly what we should do if Jesus comes to live inside our hearts. We will explode with love, with compassion, with hurt for those who are hurting, and with joy for those who rejoice. We will explode with a desire to be more, to be better, to be close to the One who made us.”

Katie J. Davis
“People from my first home say I'm brave. They tell me I'm strong. They pat me on the back and say, 'Way to go. Good job.' But the truth is, I am not really very brave; I am not really very strong; and I am not doing anything spectacular. I am simply doing what God has called me to do as a person who follows Him. He said to feed His sheep and He said to care for 'the least of these,' so that's what I'm doing, with the help of a lot people who make it possible and in the company of those who make my life worth living”
Katie J. Davis, Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption

“People who really want to make a difference in the world usually do it, in one way or another. And I’ve noticed something about people who make a difference in the world: They hold the unshakable conviction that individuals are extremely important, that every life matters. They get excited over one smile. They are willing to feed one stomach, educate one mind, and treat one wound. They aren’t determined to revolutionize the world all at once; they’re satisfied with small changes. Over time, though, the small changes add up. Sometimes they even transform cities and nations, and yes, the world.”
Beth Clark, Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption

Katie J. Davis
“The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians. The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left.”

Katie J. Davis
“Uncertainty is everywhere. But I am living in the midst of the uncertainty and risk, amid things that can and do bring physical destruction, because I am running from things that can destroy my soul, complacency, comfort and ignorance. I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self serving society and failing to follow Jesus than I am of any illness or tragedy.”

Katie J. Davis
“Thankfully, God's plans do not seem to be affected much by my own.”

Katie J. Davis
“We are not called to be safe, we are simply promised that when we are in danger, God is right there with us. And there is no better place to be than in His hands.”

Katie J. Davis
“I am blown away that my God, who could do this all by Himself, would choose to let me be a little part of it.”

Katie J. Davis
“I put value in things. These children, having no things, put value in God. I put my trust in relationships; these children, having already seen relationships fail, put their trust in the Lord.”

Katie J. Davis
“Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption. It is the Gospel in my living room.”

Katie J. Davis
“Adoption is a redemptive response to tragedy that happens in this broken world.”

Katie J. Davis
“The place God calls us to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.”

Katie J. Davis
“Do not forget in the darkness what you have been promised in the light.”

Katie J. Davis
“I have learned that I will not change the world, Jesus will do that. I can however, change the world for one person. I can change the world for fourteen little girls and for four hundred schoolchildren and for a sick and dying grandmother and for a malnourished, neglected, abused five-year old. And if one persons sees the love of Christ in me, it is worth every minute. In fact, it is worth spending my life for.”

Katie J. Davis
“Adoption is wonderful and beautiful and the greatest blessing I have ever experienced. Adoption is also difficult and painful. Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption.”

Katie J. Davis
“God's plan is usually pretty great. It is a whole lot better than mine anyway. I am so glad that He does not allow me to win.”

06/19/2013 marked as: read