Duckpondwithoutducks's Reviews > The Book of Fate

The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012-fiction
Read in January, 2012

I got this book at my local library, after seeing another book with a connection to Thomas Jefferson, The Jefferson Key. I got that one as well. I was curious as to the connection to Thomas Jefferson, as I love history. Despite being two different books by two different authors written at two separate times, they are very similar! They are both Da Vinci Code kind of thrillers, where the bullets start flying practically on the first page, and the danger doesn't let up until the end. They both have plots around a fictional President of the United States, First Ladies who aren't entirely faithful, codes written by Thomas Jefferson and characters whose allegiance is ambivalent. The structure of both feels more like a screenplay than a novel, going back and forth between scenes, sometimes the scenes being absurdly short. While reading through the first time you may feel a sense of tension and wondering what will happen, but that interest would not sustain me through a second reading. There are no good lines that I would want to savour over and over again. Also, there was too much gratuitous violence for my liking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Fate.