Cindy's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Jan 28, 2012

Read in January, 2012

The first book in this series was stunning and original, one of those books that I read from the public library, but then had to purchase for my private library. While the second book also drew a great deal of praise, for me it was a pale shadow of Book 1, probably because I found the character of Itempas less compelling than the unpredictable trickster, Sieh, who dominates this volume.

Book 3: The Kingdom of Gods, brought back the magic. On one level, it tells the story of Sieh's friendship with the future ruler of the Arameri family, Shahar, and her brother, Dekarta. At the same time, it is a story about Sieh who, due to events that are mostly out of his control, is forced to let go of his preferred mode of childishness to confront the burden of responsibility.

The theme of this novel, unlike the previous two which focused on romantic relationships, is downfalls, declines and transitions (or endings). Even Sieh must deal with an unanticipated change in himself, that parallels both the decline of Arameri power and--even graver--the threat of the end of the world itself.

Of course, Jemisin doesn't leave out the battles, pettiness and politicking that have defined this world and its rulers throughout the series. The pacing slowed down a bit around 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the book, but it ends (though I imagine there will be mixed feelings over it), with a spectacular, nail-biting finale that brings the series to a fitting close.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.